Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

TJCSGA

4/17/2011 07:07:00 PM 0 comments


Last weekend was busy for the most part, but that would be an understatement. You see, I was in Austin for the annual TJCSGA Convention. Which stands for Texas Junior College Student Government Association. Basically, all the community colleges in Texas who are involved in TJCSGA with their student government get together for a convention that is completely student run, and does a pretty awesome job at that.

Amarillo College this year was president school, and our representative for that was non other than Anthony Najar who happens to be the SGA President of our college also.

But let's begin.

Day 1: Thursday I was early to rise with my luggage all packed and a box full of campaign materials. Although I was worried thinking my luggage would be overweight and I would have to pay a fine, everything turned out to be OK. Making it to Austin was unbelievable considering we were snowed in to go there for Community College day. I feared the same thing would happen again with this crazy panhandle weather. But all was good. The first day was very casual without having to dress up nice. We had icebreakers, massage chairs, our general assemble, and our region meeting. It was pretty exciting to see Anthony Najar as our president for TJCSGA. I was also excited to serve as Region Parliamentarian during our region meetings.

Day 2: Honestly, it's hard to remember what all went on with everything we had to do. Whether it was getting ready for campaigning or going to workshops. There was always something on the table to do. But there was sure a lot of eating going on.

Day 3: This was the day the speech and skits happened. AC decided to do this year a Napoleon Dynamite themed campaign. We had shirts, chap stick, buttons, and gum. I did the speech Pedro did in the movie, Trevor Brown did the Napoleon dance. It was a very memorable moment for me, and a quite funny one too.

Day 4: Sunday. We had our last General Assembly at the Capitol on the House Floor. We also had our elections. The speeches that were given by the board members were very emotional. And we ended the meeting with the new board present, which I am now a part of as AC's Representative for the State Parliamentarian position.

With new things awaiting me next year I find this to be very exciting. And hope to represent AC to the best of my ability.

(0) Comments