Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Amarillo Flavor

4/13/2010 09:58:00 AM 11 comments

How do you feel about food here in Amarillo? I used to think that small town equals small food choices, but lately I've been finding some truly good eats in our panhandle city. Here's a few of my favorites so far.

Fernando's Restaurant (2028 Paramount) - Not my most recent find, but definitely my favorite to come back to. The food is fantastic, I've never had to wait for a table, and there's a 10 flavor salsa bar! I've never been disappointed with any entrée, but I will say that the spicy pancake enchilada is my favorite. Instead of being rolled up in typical enchilada form, this plate comes with a pile of ground beef or cheese between two flat corn tortillas, covered in sauce and cheese, then topped with a fried egg. Yes thats right, fried egg on top of an enchilada. Delicious. Of course the plate comes with a side of their authentic rice and beans which are more flavorful than most. 2 can usually eat here for around $18!

Jamaican Flame (4132 Business Park) - If you can find this place, you're in for a spicy treat! Located in the Western Business Park (across from the animal clinic west of I-27) this small restaurant serves up massive amounts of flavor that's not the norm for Amarillo. The plantain chips and spiced guacamole is a must for an appetizer, and depending on your level of spice, I suggest the pork pasta or 3 meat combo as a entrée. Don't worry there is a spice level chart on the menu so there aren't any surprises here. Jerk chicken, jerk shrimp, jerk pork, any many more flavors are available from the prior chef for The Shack on 6th street. Moderately priced to not hurt your wallet for exotic flavor.

Coyote Bluff Cafe (2417 Grand) - This is old news to Amarillo hamburger fans, but I'm shamed to say that I somehow haven't eaten here in the 21 years I've lived here until just last year. Besides is coverage on Travel Channels: Man vs Food (watch the Amarillo episode if you haven't already), this place has gotten rave reviews from locals! I put my mouth to the test with their Burger from Hell and was very impressed. The burger came out of the kitchen with about an inch thick layer of jalapeños and habañero sauce. The burn was intense, but I made it through enough to even try my girlfriends regular burger, and even then I was suprised at the flavor. The meat has a good ground beef taste and is so juicy it pretty much soaks the bun. A side of cheese fries is a must, or add chili for even more taste. Prices are higher than you fast food joint, but well worth the extra cost. Beware plastic carriers, as Coyote Bluff is a cash only establishment!

(11) Comments

  1. David Horsley On April 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM

    Good review of Fernando's. I'm going there tomorrow night.

     
    David On April 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM

    I plan to go there tomorrow night.

     
    Matt H On April 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM

    Yumm!

     
    Regina W On April 23, 2010 at 12:31 PM

    For a small town restraunt, Golden Light is really good. I love their burgers and fries.

     
    Anonymous On May 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM

    Ruby Tequilas on soncy road has great food and tasty margaritas

     
    Anonymous On May 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

    If you're looking for great, AUTHENTIC food, make your way over to the boulevard. Amarillo is beyond blessed when it comes to authentic, healthy and TASTY Vietnamese, Chinese, Laotian, and Thai food. Likewise, give the REAL Mexican food a whirl... El Tejavan rocks!

     
    Anonymous On May 22, 2010 at 3:19 PM

    Bangkok Tokyo on the corner of Western and Olsen is truly a gem. If you dont have time to sit down and wait for a freshly prepared meal dont go. It can get crowded at times but the food is truly the best!!!

     
    Anonymous On June 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

    Super bowl noodle - excellent vietnamese soups. like pho
    El bracero - Amazing mexican food
    David's steakhouse- prime rib and steaks!
    Las Brisas - Pricey but probably best steak in the U.S.!
    Big Daddy's BBQ - delicious texas BBQ!
    The big Texan - Good steaks and incredible mountain oysters!
    Kitchen Express - Cheap takeout! great taste! I love the chicken curry and pad thai!
    There is also a place that i dont know the name of on amarillo blvd. that has tasty tortas (mexican sandwiches) for cheap and they are delicious. it is a red building close to beans and things thats only open for lunch. it used to be called mercado rodriguez but i think it changed owners.

     
    Anonymous On June 11, 2010 at 10:02 AM

    If you want somewhere to go and relax after a stressful week of school or just refuel, head over to Jorge's Tacos Garcia. They have a great patio, ceviche, home-made margaritas, home of the refreshing michelada.

     
    Mitsy On June 11, 2010 at 10:07 AM

    When I'm on a time-crunch between classes I'll go to Village Bakery. They have great salads, fresh lemonade and a cute patio. If I'm really crunched for time, I call in a smoothie @ Eat-Rite. They're made w/organic fruit and fat-free yogurt, and I can have it class w/o disturbing anyone!

     
    Anonymous On June 17, 2010 at 8:44 AM

    Amarillo is not a small town. It has nearly a quarter of a million people in its "metro" area. There are only about a hundred cities larger than Amarillo in the entire country.