Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Newest AC Blogger

6/22/2010 11:03:00 AM 3 comments

My name is Brandon Carpenter and I will be adding my Amarillo College experiences to the AC blog. I plan to tell you, not in a cloyingly cheerful way, what you can expect here at Amarillo college through what I experience.
Let's finish the introduction.
The economy and technology advances have created an opportunity to change. I am a returning student, changed my major, to a degree that has more possibilities. I am a husband, father, step-father, full-time student, somewhat employed. With my degree plan in Mass Communications I plan on working in New Media Journalism.
I still get to keep doing some of the technology I have been using in the workplace and to continue to write. Hopefully to even get paid for writing.
For my summer classes, I decided to fill plate with Government in Texas, Oceanography, Intro to Mass Communication and the TV Workshop. All my classes are online classes, except for the TV workshop.
The TV Workshop focuses on screenwriting. There are eleven students in the class, all I think are Mass Comm. majors. I will have to let you know more about the class and what the results will be. There just might be Quentin Tarantino on campus.
Oceanography does have complete kit and manual. The online lessons heavily use the American Meteorological Society and the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration websites.
The Government in Texas is quite insightful. There is no physical textbook, the online lessons contain the reading material and lecture notes. I still think it could use some audio or video links.
The Intro. to Mass Communication has been revelatory. Opening my eyes to media ethics, entertainment buzz and insight about the industry. That class is taught by Jill Gibson, who is 2010 dual recipient of the John F. Mead Award.
Of course all these classes take lots of study time, but I do schedule some time with family.
Follow along and I will share insights and helpful tips at the AC campus.

(3) Comments

  1. Anonymous On June 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM

    Oceanography? Is that an AC class? Does it fulfill a requirement for graduation? Guess there aren't any field trips in Amarillo.

     
    Anonymous On June 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM

    Whether or not Oceanography will fulfill graduation requirements depends on your major. Always check with your advisor to make sure you are on track.

     
    UltraGuru On June 30, 2010 at 9:38 AM

    Oceanography is a natural science class. So if your major allows natural science you would be able to take it.

    My experience so far with the class has been good. Fun class, but it has it difficulties and challenges.

    It is online, though, there is a whole kit for the class. There is no field trip, but you could go to the Discovery Center and have a look at the aquarium tanks.

    My son and I took a trip to Moody Gardens down in Galveston for spring break. The blue pyramid contains four levels of aquarium sea life. There is also a separate penguin exhibit that is really awesome.