Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Common Writing Glitches

6/27/2010 07:14:00 PM 4 comments

After making a decision that I need to move through my college curriculum at an accelerated pace I am going to CLEP some of my core hours. English 1302 will challenge my grammatical and style ability. I hope to avoid some prevalent violations that I commonly catch myself doing. Here's a look at 8 of my common writing glitches:

1. Its vs. It's No big surprise by this one. It has plagued my writing because common sense nudges me towards seeing the apostrophe as a possessive instead of a contraction. Commit to memory this phrase. It-apostrophe-s has one meaning -- a contraction for it is. Everything thing else is its.
2. Then instead of than I tend to over use than, misplacing then, in my fictional writing.
3. Cliches Not including the accent over the 'e' doesn't go the whole nine yards on this puppy. For me it is just a sign I am getting lazy in my writing.
4. Overuse of 'that' It gets overwhelming to see how many times that is used when trying to make a point that needs some supporting description or evidence. Try to read the sentence again with the 'that' taken out and see how it sounds. Does it have to be there? If not, nuke it. Also, don't confuse who and that.
5. Comma Splices There is phenomenon that I try to stay away from, once I have delivered the subject-verb-object content of sentence structure. Instead of attaching a comma to a butt end of a sentence. Just end it. Don't even go a third or fourth time. Writing a sentence needs not be a buffet experience to fill the paragraph.
6. One word vs. two words Some common mistakes with adjectives and nouns are to use a one word version instead of the proper two word version. I blame laziness of email and everyday usage of the advertising media. Billboards, menus, and ads full of slogans that promise "Everyday Value", or "Everyday Freshness." Everyday is an adjective. When will Walmart start promising savings or freshness everyweek or everymonth.
7. Acyrologia Nope not a horrible disease. Though I am sure there are many english professors who would disagree. Acyrologia improper use of a word. The prescribed treatment is a Dictionary/Theusarus combination paperback. Use often. I often see this kind of examples in the sports section of the newspaper.
8. Dangling Dependent Run-on Sentences I work really hard to avoid these things in my writing. I already have too many dependents who dangle their run-on sentences with emoticons I don't understand in txt messages I rarely understand. Why create more?


I know I have more writing issues to work on and through. I know the CLEP will not be easy, in fact, it might be easier to take the class than to test out of it. Got to give it an attempt. What are your writing or grammar issues? If you need to find out more about the CLEP you can visit the Testing Center on campus and pick up a brochure.

(4) Comments

  1. Anonymous On June 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM

    What about who vs. whom?
    That vs. which?
    Split infinitives and misuse of apostrophes?
    I tested out of Freshman Comp too and sometimes I regret it.

     
    Anonymous On June 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM

    CLEP tests can really save you time and money. I was fortunate to CLEP 53 credit hours and earned the BA degree in 2 1/2 years! Good luck on your CLEP - let us know how you did!!

     
    Brandon Carpenter On June 30, 2010 at 8:30 AM

    Oh yeah, the who vs. whom debate. Ever heard of the Grammar Girl Podcast. Check it out a the itunes podcast page. Great stuff.
    I to am concerned about clepping out of the english. I could probably really use it. I do know that I could just get a grammar book and read it too.
    CLEPed 53 Hours! Wow.

     
    Anonymous On July 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM

    There, their, and they're as well as to and too are biggies that I see all the time. In fact, Facebook has a group for people that are driven bonkers by it.