Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

I am badger, hear me roar?

9/28/2010 08:36:00 PM 5 comments

[Apparently, I missed the memo on introducing myself. Since I can’t be bothered to write an entire post about myself - because frankly, I’m not that interesting - I will slowly reveal information pertaining to my life throughout blogposts with what I decided to title: Hilary Facts. Hilary Fact #1: My name is Hilary Hulsey, I was born and raised in Amarillo, Texas.]

As I sat and wondered what to write about, I began to think of something we all have in common: we are Amarillo College badgers. Badgers the ... uh ... the what? Then, I realized the badger is an animal I know absolutely nothing about. Does a badger roar, coo, howl, or create any noise at all? What are its characteristics and how should I feel as a badger? Passive? Some universities and colleges have the unfortunate task of tolerating a mascot of shame: the orange, a tree, a bumblebee. But, I am here to tell you, AC: Fear not! The badger is an animal to reckon with.

According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, a badger’s first mechanism of deception is its ability to appear “cute and shy” (and walk with a waddle or swagger). So, while we sit in our classes, nestled comfortably and quietly in our beautiful campus, it’s safe to say the world may not fully grasp the brains, intelligence, and competitive learning that is taking place due to our deceptive nature as badgers. We may be burrowed in our “setts”, but we are lurking and waiting for the proper moment of provocation.

Badgers also have a “keen sense of smell [...] second only to that of members of the dog family”. I’d say this defines our ability to sniff out the differences between right and wrong and seek out the advice of our doctors, professors, and staff alike to make important life decisions. (I am unsure if badgers are brown nosers.)

Lastly, and most importantly, badgers have “long, thick claws”, “emit an unpleasant musk” and “are ferocious fighters that should not be disturbed”. Not to say we are serial killers, and I certainly won’t lash out if someone confronts me on campus, but having the fighting capability is certainly a bonus. Badgers can take on much larger animals such as bears and wolves due to their ability to defend themselves.

Amarillo College may be a community college, but those who get their start or achieve their respective degrees and certificates in our deceptively cute and shy institution should be feared for the strength we’ve gained from being a badger - our passiveness unless provoked, our ability to sniff out and utilize guidance to our advantage, and our will to fight for our place in the world through our career choices or taking on “larger animals” like universities.

Badgers are fiercely adorable animals. But I can’t seem to decide on a final thought to leave you with. “I am badger, smell my musk” isn’t very effective, is it?

(5) Comments

  1. Anonymous On September 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

    This is the most awesome AC blog posting ever!

     
    Hilary On September 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

    Thank you! I hope your anonymity isn't disguising the fact that you are my mother, because I seem to believe she's one of the few who understands my humor. :)

    But really, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the posts to follow ...

     
    Anonymous On September 29, 2010 at 1:01 PM

    Hilary, Cool Post (and I'm not your mom!)

     
    Mike Haynes On September 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM

    Hilary: Great first post. I like your comparison of real badgers and AC students! But are AC students fiercely adorable or adorably fierce?
    --Mike H.

     
    Hilary On September 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM

    I guess that depends on which student you come across!

    Thanks again :D