Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Newest AC Blogger

9/21/2010 04:44:00 PM 1 comments

Hey guys and girls, my name is Jacob Powell and I am the newest contributor to the AC blog. I will be chiming in here with thoughts from my experiences here at Amarillo College.
I thought I would give you a little information about myself so you know where my posts will be coming from. First off, I’m a Criminal Justice major. I hope to become a police officer for APD after finishing school. I have lived in Amarillo my entire life and graduated from Amarillo High.
I had originally planned to attend Texas Tech and get a degree in Engineering Technology. However, I received word that their program would be shut down, and to choose a new major. Having only planned on Tech my entire life, I was faced with AC or WTAMU. I chose AC, seeing lower prices for the same credits. I must admit I was not looking forward to attending a community college, having had my eyes set on The Big 12 for so long. Fortunately, this school has surprised me.
I’m a full time student in my first semester here at AC. What this means is that I get to take all those classes which appear horribly boring. On my plate are A Survey of Art and Music, Intro to Sociology, Intro to Mass Communication, Interpersonal Communication, and Government of the US. I have been excited to find that these classes are not only very interesting and well taught, but the students alongside me in class are just as much fun to get to know.
A Survey of Art and Music is a wide spread class, covering many different aspects of what we consider the “arts”. Film, dance, painting, sculpture, photography: it’s all here. While I don’t consider myself in the least bit artistic or creative, this course is opening my eyes to these fields.
Intro to Sociology and Intro to Mass Communications are both quite possibly my favorite classes. The instructors for these courses shared in winning The John F. Mead Award for 2010. Dr. Deborah J. Harding is my Sociology professor and, as any former student can vouch, more than keeps your attention while in class. She holds true to her beliefs while not forcing them upon you, allowing you to speak your own mind in class. Jill Gibson, my Mass Comm. Instructor, is equally impressive. She almost always starts off class with a funny video clip or web find, getting you ready for a mind-opening look into the work of mass communications and media.
Interpersonal Communication, or IPC, is another class which is expanding my views on life and those around me. While I’m not normally the type to look into my thought processes and wonder why they are the way they are, this class is certainly making me more aware of just that. Plus, everyone in my class tends to be very open, making for a very interesting discussion every day.
Government of the US is just that. It is your typical government class. In this case though, class discussions often go very deep, into the core values each student has and how they relate to the operation of government. .
I hope that this introduction has given you some insight into who I am and where my posts will originate. I look forward to sharing my experiences her at Amarillo College with you all.
Thanks for reading,
JPowell

1 Comment

  1. Mike Haynes On September 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM

    Jacob: Good start! I think a lot of AC students will relate to your description of your classes and teachers. --Mike Haynes