Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive


Well I woke pretty early this morning for no apparent reason - so.... here I am!

Coffee? Check.

Bagel? Check.

CNN American Morning? Check.

Now I can safely start the day! Watching the news is pretty depressing here lately. Not just the national news, its in the local news too. Everyone is talking about job layoffs, tough times, quarter reports are down, companies are shutting down. Even just making coffee gets me thinking about the economy, every time I see that green logo on the my Starbucks coffee container I can't help but think about the their layoffs and a recent news story of Starbucks abandoning their two new locations here in Amarillo.

Where are the stories of hope? They seem to be in short supply here lately.

What I am more concerned about is:
How will this affect the job market once I have my bachelors degree?
Will there be much of job market for me by then?
If people aren't buying - will there be a use for advertisers?

Who knows, by the time I get my bachelors degree (in two years), everything could be on the upswing and everything could turn out to be really great! Well that's what I hope for anyways.

I think we're all trying to learn to deal with poor economy right now, at least locally. For so long Amarillo has been insulated from such things and now the state of the economy is starting to filter down to us. My coworker's husband lost his job about a month ago and is still looking for work and he a very skilled mechanic. I'm not worried about finding a job after college, I'm just concerned.

Thankfully I work for with staff of about three people at private practice so it will take a while before layoffs head our way if at all (business has been steady, not great, but I'll take it).

I guess that's gonna do it for now just voicing a concern of mine, what are yours? do your have any? do even care what's going on with the economy? If not why do you not care?

Come One, Come All, Come Comment

(2) Comments

  1. Tiffany On January 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

    I'm not going to lie, the picture scares me.

    What scares me more is ...who's next? Is my job at risk? Of course it is. I have a fluff job, but even if I didn't -everybody is at risk!

    Scary world out there!

     
    Anonymous On February 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM

    Have you noticed how advertisers are using the economic problems as a selling point? I've lost track of how many ads start with "In these tough times" or "Now that its more important than ever to save money." Clearly advertisers are hurting (consider the unsold Super Bowl space)but the clever ones are capitalizing on recession as a selling point! Meanwhile, here in Amarillo, I have not seen much evidence that people are cutting down on their spending. I went to the mall this weekend and people were lined up to buy stuff in several stores.