Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

My Plane Dilemma

9/29/2009 03:03:00 PM 7 comments

At the end of October, the Journalism Department is planning to go to a convention in Austin. This is a huge deal! There are going to be thousands of colleges and Universities from all over the United States. I’ve only gone to one other Journalism convention because we took a van to Dallas and every other time; they fly to wherever they’re going. Out of fear I’ve always opted out of the plane ride and I’ve gotten teased for it every time. They know if we’re taking a plan, I’m staying in Amarillo.

So yesterday, I read an e-mail saying we MIGHT take a plan to Austin or we MIGHT drive! At the bottom of the e-mail it said something like “Maddisun, if we go by plane, we’re talking you into it.” Road trips don’t bother me; I just sleep the whole way there anyways. But, I’ve never ever stepped foot on a plan and that’s what I’m having trouble with. I’m just scared I’m going to get thousands of feel up in the air and want off the plane and I can’t just get off because I’m scared.

When I was in the 5th grade, my friend Mandy and I thought we wanted to ride the Pirate ship at Wonderland. So, we got on and at first everything was fine. About 45 seconds into the ride both of us were down in the seat screaming and my mom actually had to get the boy controlling the ride to stop it and let us off.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be fine, but there’s this little part of me that says I’ll freak out as soon as we take off and I’ll want to get off. I couldn’t get to sleep last night because all I could think about was the ride to Austin. My friend Miguel might also be going on this trip and he said the flight won’t take long, so I’m hoping it won’t. He’s making me feel more comfortable with going on the trip…I have to say whether or not I’m going for sure by Thursday, so I have a couple more days to come up with a definite answer…wish me luck convincing myself!!

(7) Comments

  1. Anonymous On September 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM

    Don't read Miracle in the Andes before the flight!

     
    Mrs. R On October 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM

    You know that the same God that protects you on the ground is the same God that protects you in the air. And.... you can see His handiwork from such a neat perspective from up there.

     
    Mike Haynes On October 2, 2009 at 10:22 AM

    Maddisun:
    We'll take off, the flight attendant will offer you a Coke, you'll finish it, and before you know it, we'll be there!
    (And the statistics show that it's a lot more dangerous to ride in a car than in a plane...)

     
    Rachel Segura On October 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM

    I've been told it's a short flight so I wouldn't worry too much. It will be my first "official" plane ride also so we can be uneasy together!

     
    Webbhead On October 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM

    I have some anxiety about flying myself along with clostaphobia I say I'm scared of flying big time!
    What helps me is I get a script from my doctor for valium. She only gives me enough for my ride back and forth and it's the lowest dose they make. It really helped me and now I'm not so scared to fly. I've flown to New York and Florida by myself and besides the planes being so small - my stress level about has diminshed quite a bit. Go for it! You won't regret it.

     
    Unknown On October 12, 2009 at 10:27 AM

    Dont be scared. Just do it! Once you do it you wont be scared anymore. If you just cant go on a plan then drive yourself. Austin is a long drive but its easy to get around.

     
    Anonymous On October 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

    Don't know if your as much of a control freak as I am, but when I started flying, I knew I would be much more comfortable if I was in control & knew everything that is going on. Here's how I calm myself down: Remember the pilots are professionals...they're not going to put you in danger. Once you get up in the air, relax.