Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

My bum knee...

3/09/2010 01:54:00 PM 4 comments

This week I finally solidified my spring break plans! On Saturday, my girlfriends family will be driving thru Amarillo from the DFW area, and we will follow them from here to Durango, CO. I have never been there so I'm pretty excited! Brittany's family will be skiing, but she and I will find something else to do because of knee injuries we both have. Hers from skiing on a family trip with me last year in Santa Fe, and mine from a snowboarding accident.

It was my 8th grade year and I was on my church's annual youth ski trip to Aspen, CO. My friend and I had been taking snowboarding lessons all morning and had decided after lunch that it was time to go by ourselves. On our first run down, I started picking up too much speed and fell over. Somehow my leg from the knee down had spun around what felt like 180 degrees. I had to be sledded down by a member of ski patrol and taken to the hospital. The doctors told me that I had a partial tear of my MCL, but luckily it wasn't completely torn and didn't require surgery.

The second time I injured my knee was the more embarrassing of the accidents. It was March 2009 at an art show inside the old house I used to live in in Denton, TX. My friend and I were performing a live DJ show for the people enjoying the art that was hung all over the house. During a set of songs my friend was playing, I went out to dance with some friends and somehow managed to slip on a puddle of something (most likely alcoholic) and dislocated the same knee I injured skiing about 8 years ago. Another trip to the hospital, followed by another annoying knee brace.

Now I am a lot more careful about what I do on this knee since it is definitely weaker due to these injuries. I'm sure this weekend will be just fine though since we'll just be hanging around Durango. Dont forget to set your clocks AHEAD one hour this Sunday at 2am!

-MH

(4) Comments

  1. jaenkes On March 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM

    Have a great "ski" trip!

    I've been reading your blogs and love them! :)

     
    Shonda On March 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

    Dyrango is most awesome! Take the train ride if possible and everyback road you can find! It is breathtaking. If you can, Mesa Verde is beautiful too. I bet more so with snowfall, if you can get to it. Enjoy and watch for alcohol spills.... tend to be lots of that there too.

     
    majh23 On March 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM

    Oh you guys have to take the train ride to Silverton, about halfway through there's a small waterfall that is just amazing! I went on my Senior Trip, I loved it! Plus there's alot of cute little resturants to eat at and then you could take the train back. I love Durango...I went the last part of May though, so pack a coat! :) Hope you have a GREAT TIME!!!

     
    Matt H On March 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM

    Thanks for the comments! I am getting super excited about the weekend!