Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

My first marketing lesson

3/29/2010 03:33:00 PM 4 comments

In my "Writing for Electronic Media" class, one of our semester projects is a job shadow assignment. We are required to spend between 4 to 8 hours gaining "insight into the expectations and responsibilities of a working communications professional and to make contacts in the media industry". At least that's what my assignment paper says.

I knew who I would choose for my job shadow project right when we were given the assignment since I have a family friend in marketing, which I would say is a communication profession. To keep things confidential we can call her Jen and she has around 25 years in the marketing field. I spoke with Jen last Wednesday, and luckily she had a marketing meeting scheduled for Friday with a popular optometry company here in Amarillo, and I was invited to sit in!

The meeting was scheduled for 10am so I showed up to Jen's house at 9:45. We grabbed a few notes and a portrait picture of some of the higher-ups of the company we were working for then got in the car. On the way to the boardroom, Jen explained to me where she has worked previously and who her current clients are now. I found out she handles one of the largest accounts in Amarillo which happens to be a locally owned bank!

The meeting was much more relaxed than I thought it would be. When we arrived Jen introduced me to her clients as her intern/student, then we began the marketing process. Jen laid out her spreadsheet that listed all her clients objectives and what events needed to promote those objectives. Each tv ad, radio ad, promotional event, everything was compared to yearly sales for the company. Things like if June was a bad month for the company in sales last year, what particular television or radio ad should the company run to counteract lack of sales this year.

Overall I learned a lot! There are waaay more people than I expected involved from top to bottom when it comes to marketing for a company. From the CEO of a parent company, all the way down through Jen in marketing, and even down to the guy running the camera at the commercial shoot, everyone working on the same project.

This job shadowing has really helped me in trying to figure a more solid path for myself career wise. I thought I wanted to go into PR, and I guess marketing is a form of PR, but not really the same. I dont want to come up with the advertising ideas, really just coordinate the ads getting produced for the client. I've been in sales all my life, and I'm a very outgoing person so I really feel like this could be a good position for me! I guess we'll see when I finish school!

-MH

(4) Comments

  1. Anonymous On April 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM

    More students should do this! It really helps you visualize your future - can you see yourself here in 10 years?

     
    Anonymous On April 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM

    sounds like a good experience. i heard you looked like a pro too.

     
    Brittany Smith On April 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM

    That sounds so awesome! I'm glad you got to have that experience.

     
    Matt H On April 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM

    I could see myself in the field, no necessarily at the company I shadowed. Definitely a great experience for me!