Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Then and Now

10/15/2010 09:09:00 PM 3 comments

This week, I wracked my brain for a really great blog idea. Incidentally, this idea fell in my lap this afternoon after a friends’ mother posted a project from her elementary school years on Facebook. After digging through my drawers, I found my 1st grade journal and here you have it ...


1st Grade vs. College

(a journalistic representation by young Hilary Hulsey)


“School is fun.”


It’s safe to say school is not always fun. Certain classes make a person regret the day their mother met their father. College Hilary says: School is fun ... sometimes.


“If I had $5.00 I would buy a book.”


Back then, five dollars was plenty of money to buy a book for a five or six year old. College Hilary says: “If I had $5.00, I would buy a bookmark for my $175.00 textbook.”


"When I have to read I love it.”

Somehow, I think Mercer Mayer’s Me Too! and Numeroff’s If You Give a Mouse a Cookie entertain far more than any textbook I own. Perhaps if our textbooks had better illustrations ... maybe then I would love it.


“My idea of a good time is school.”


My, how things change.


“I wish my teacher would give me a hug.”


College Hilary: “I wish my teacher would give me a break.” Especially now, since midterms hover over every classroom.



“I wish my parents knew I love to go to school.”


Is it becoming obvious? Brown nosing is my fortĂ©. However, now they hear the endless amount of ranting, so I’m pretty sure my parents know just how much I love to go to school.



“He was cute.”


Honest Hilary: I still think this, to a degree. In a presidential way, of course.



“I like doing tests [...] I like doing math.”


I don’t know if this is true or not. Maybe I did? It’s certainly not the case now. I think the next journal entry shows what my parents thought of “I like doing tests”.



“I like having a MRI.”


No child loves tests that much.




“On Friday I watched Wizard of Oz.”


Well, maybe things haven’t changed - it’s Friday, and I’m about to watch The Wizard of Oz. But, I'm certainly not as limber - I won't be doing the splits in the floor while viewing.


Growing older genuinely matures the brain to some of the unhappier realizations in life - perhaps it’s time to start thinking like a first grader again.


(3) Comments

  1. Jenny Lynn On October 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM

    You're awesome, Hils! I miss your witty repartee now that I never get to see you...but now I can read said repartee! Yay!!

     
    Anonymous On October 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM

    Aw, Hillary, we'll give you a hug. --your professors

     
    Anonymous On October 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM

    What a sweet child! This reminds me of my granddaughter : )