Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Olympics and Scholarships

2/17/2010 01:26:00 PM 5 comments

It's crazy at how much work is necessary to receive financial aid or scholarships. Within the week, I need to file a Fafsa (something I've never done before) and search for relevant scholarships through the UTA site, at least. The process is so complicated too, especially being an out of state student for most of my college career. I'm not looking forward to this, but it seems like attending a university is pretty near impossible without some kind of aid.

I'm going for a visit to UTA two Saturdays from this weekend. I missed a transfer preview day by a week, I think, but my advisor told me to email my advisor there and see if there's someone I could meet with on the day I'm there. I've never been to UTA before, so I hope I like it. I applied and got into AC without ever visiting and I love it, so I hope the same goes for UTA.

Anyone else as big into the Olympics as I am? I don't really get into the summer ones, but I am OBSESSED with the winter ones. Anytime I'm home, I usually have the TV on. I'm really into curling right now. I don't understand a lick of it, really, but it's still very intense for such a simple looking game. Bobsledding starts soon, and I'm looking forward to the US/Canada hockey game on Sunday at 7. I don't know what could convince someone to start doing the luge/skeleton. It looks SO dangerous, and that was pretty proven this past week with the man from Georgia dying while practicing. I'm proud of the US Olympians who have already brought home medals: Hannah Kearney, JR Celski, Apolo Ohno, etc. Looks like we're behind Germany by a medal as of this afternoon, but I'm sure we'll make a comeback.

Finally, The AC Concert Choir students will present a variety show this Friday night in the Concert Hall, 7:30 pm, to raise money for their spring tour. Admission is free and donations are accepted to help with spring tour expenses. I would love to attend this, but I have to work. Go check it out if you're looking for something to do on Friday!

(5) Comments

  1. Anonymous On February 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM

    so true and why so many will not even try to get help.

     
    Anonymous On February 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM

    Financial aid in the form of loans, grants and scholarships IS available. Sometimes aid is hard to find and the application process is complicated and tedious but it WILL be worth it in the end.

     
    Anonymous On February 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

    maybe you shouldn't complain about getting free money. Just a thought.

     
    Chelsea On February 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM

    I never said I was complaining. It's a great thing, I just never imagined it'd be this much work. Yeah, it pays off in the end, there's just so much to do and apply for, and it's overwhelming for someone who's never done it before.

    There's a difference between complaining and being overwhelmed.

     
    Anonymous On February 27, 2010 at 2:33 AM

    I don't personally know anyone who enjoys filling out all the scholarship applications or the FAFSA for that matter. It is worth it in the end, but most of them require different sets of instructions and frankly can be more nerve-racking than school work. You have every right to be overwhelmed. Good Luck!