Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Big Weekend!

2/26/2010 07:56:00 AM 3 comments

This Saturday I will be performing live at The War Legion Underground. The event is called "Digital Styleings 6.0" because the duo I play with is named Digital Style, and it's the sixth consecutive show they've had at the venue. It will be my third time to perform with them as DJ Chiknbiskit.

When I first started playing records in Amarillo, the shows were very small and at the old hookah lounge/coffee bar Namaste. The people who attended mostly consisted of close friends and family, so it was never a large turnout. I guess it didn't help that I had to perform outside in the cold November night wind. Last October one of my friends told me about a DJ duo that plays music of the same style that I play, right in Amarillo. I didn't really believe him at first because most of the people around here haven't heard of many of the artists that I like to play. When I arrived at the concert, I was immediately blown away by what I heard. I recognized a lot of the music and saw a ton of people dancing! Much more than my small shows at Namaste.

After meeting the guys of Digital Style, I got them a demo CD of stuff I had done in the past, and they agreed to put me on Novembers show ticket. My first performance with them on November 14th (Digital Styleings 4.0) was one I wont ever forget. Over 100 people packed into the venue, some friends, but mostly people I didn't know (quite the change from Namaste), and EVERYONE was dancing the whole night! It was great, and the 3 of us decided to perform together monthly.

In January, my 3rd performance with them got cancelled due to the insane snow Amarillo was getting at the time, and we had to reschedule for this weekend, February 27th. This performance will be a little different for me because I am playing a newer style of dance music that I have never performed before live called dubstep. The best way to describe the sound of the genre would be to take a very basic hip hop or rap drum beat, but then add a very heavy electronic bass line, sometimes added to a familiar vocal melody where the words have been cut up and rearranged to make new phrases.

Besides not having played dubstep live before, I'm also a little worried about how the crowd will like the music. I know the core group of friends the DJs have like the style, but most people I have met in Amarillo just haven't heard of it. This is good because I will exposing people to new music and sound they possibly haven't heard before, but it could be bad because if they don't like that sound, then they wont dance, and a clear dance floor is not what you want to see when your playing on stage. I have already decided to split my performance in half. Start off with some good, recognizable, electro dance music, and then I will transition to the dubstep, reading the crowd energy level from there.

Crowd energy, the very best part about being a DJ. Please come to the show if you are interested! It is an all ages show, and there are more details on the flyer I've posted below!

Spring Break is coming up soon for all you students! My plans are still in the works, but as soon as they are set I will post about where I'll be this mid March.

-MH

(3) Comments

  1. B On February 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

    I LOVE dubstep, it literally rocks your face off. You've got to have some pretty serious sound equipment to produce that INSANE bass line. I understand what you mean though about the dancing. Since dub is such a new genere and the tempo is so unusual it can either encourage some pretty interesting dance styles or some wall flowers because people aren't sure what to do with it yet.
    I will definately be there and I'm bringing some jello shots, for all of the "of age" participants!
    See you there Chiknbiskit!!!

     
    Kasey On February 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM

    Hey Matt! No worries about the show! I'm sure the music sounds great! Amarillo needs this new style and everyone should be excited that you're bringing it!

     
    Anonymous On March 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM

    i have never heard of that kind of music but it sound phanominal. but amarillo does need to be exposed to new kinds of music. we are a little closed minded when it comes to that. but i ove music with a good beat and i enjoy dancign very much, i hope i can find out when the next show is.