Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Today, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled 8-1 in favor of Westboro Baptist Church. Saying that the First Amendment gives this church the right to protest at soldiers’ funerals. The SCOTUS ruling also reversed a five million dollar judgment given to the father of Matthew Snyder, a marine whose death was protested by the church members.

I am all for the first amendment, it is a right that many other people in the world don’t have. In the United States no one is going to stop us if we say something bad about the president or the legislature or anything about the government. The press is allowed to report what ever the news is, the government does not control them. There are talk radio shows geared directly to either conservatives or liberals that tailor their coverage to what their audience wants to hear.

The first amendment should not extend to protesting a soldier’s funeral. I am very liberal in my political beliefs, I think that George W. Bush was an idiot and we had no right to invade Iraq or Afghanistan. However, it is a tragedy when ever any soldier dies and while our beliefs might not be similar I would never insult them or their families by holding up a sign saying that their loved one is in hell because the US is tolerant of homosexuals.

Which is precisely what the members of Westboro claim, that the terrorist attacks of 9/11 the casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan are all due to the US’ tolerance of homosexuals. They claim that God is mad at this country for being tolerant of another person’s way of life. Black, White, Latino, Asian, Indian, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, Wiccan, Straight or Gay regardless of classification we are all human.

The freedom of speech might protect their right to believe and say what ever they want, but their so-called beliefs should stop them from judging another and damning them to hell. I might not be a super religious person, but what I remember from the bible is “Love thy neighbor, as I have loved you”. I have already had this fight with the super religious and I know that you can find a quote in the bible saying how being gay is a sin. I also know if you look in the bible you can find quotes that defend racism that demean women and every subject in between.

The bible was never meant to be the only absolute truth in the world. It is a road map if you are Christian that is influenced and expanded upon by preachers. This is the 21st century. You would think that we would have stopped being scared of things we didn’t understand a long time ago. And yet it is groups like Westboro and others of that ilk that hold us back.
Whether are beliefs are similar or different can we at least agree to be decent to one another. I know it’s a new and terrifying idea to accept people as they are, but how about we give it a try. Let tolerance and reasonableness dictate our actions instead of crazy antiquated beliefs.

(5) Comments

  1. Amanda On March 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

    I am glad someone has the courage to open up and say something. I agree with you and as for me coming from a military family, having two gay brothers, and a half hispanic half white child it hurts me to see the way we treat our fellow man. I thank you for voicing your open sometimes I wish more people would.

     
    Amanda On March 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

    I am glad someone has the courage to open up and say something. I agree with you and as for me coming from a military family, having two gay brothers, and a half hispanic half white child it hurts me to see the way we treat our fellow man. I thank you for voicing your open sometimes I wish more people would.

     
    Estefania On March 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM

    Excellent post. I am also of the same thought that war shouldn't have been started. But, our soldiers are OUR soldiers. They deserve our respect, whatever they may be. What they do, they do for our country and us. The least they could do is let our fallen rest in peace.

     
    Brenda On March 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM

    Absolutely. A funeral is not the place for a protest of any kind.

     
    Joseph On March 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

    i agree with the post . . . i was in the military myself for a short time and im tired of these "people" talkin crap on any person in the military after knowing they were over seas sacrificing everything to be over there fighting for people here who still dont support them . . . i think its a bunch of bs wat bad some people think i jus wanna punch'm in the throat . . .lol