Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Work, Work, Work

8/07/2009 11:21:00 PM , 0 comments

Well, it's about 11:30 Friday night, and many are out partying and having a good time, I'm sure, I'm stuck on my computer doing schoolwork!

It's my own fault, really. I have a paper due for Radio Production I on Tuesday, the same day as the final for that class. My assignment is to pick a radio station here in town, write about it's format and target audience, it's promotions, music, on-air feel, analyze how well it does, then make recommendations for how to do better.

I chose The Eagle--KXGL-FM 100.9. (I was not allowed to do this paper for a station I work for, so that eliminates any of the Cumulus stations like The Kar, Rock 108, The Beat, or KPUR). The format is Classic Hits, and is aimed at the baby boomers with songs mostly from the '60s and '70s. The Eagle is pretty good at holding contests, like large cash giveaways and concerts. The Eagle is the #2 radio station in the Amarillo market, behind only KGNC-FM, which has a country format. You'd expect country music to be #1 in the Texas Panhandle, but I was a little surprised that rock and roll from the '60s and '70s would be #2.

And, tonight was my only chance to do this paper, anyway. I'm super busy this weekend--I'm working at Rock 108 Saturday morning, then my other job at Channel 4 Saturday evening. Sunday, since we're getting into football mode, I'll be at Channel 4 from 2-11. Monday, I need to study for the final the next day, so I thought I'd better get this paper out the way tonight.

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow morning--I will learn how to run the board at the radio station for a live remote show. I've asked to be a DJ for either Rock 108 or The Kar, and this is one step in the process. This will get me on the air, and another step toward fulfulling my ultimate goal of calling play-by-play for football, baseball, etc. It's just that I have to get up early on a Saturday--YUK!!!--so I'd better behave myself and stay in tonight. So, this seemed as good a time as any to do this paper and get it out of the way!

(0) Comments