Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

House explosion.

6/19/2009 07:27:00 PM 4 comments

When it rains it pours.
Yesterday was the most eventful day I've had so far at The Caller.

During the afternoon yesterday we heard over the police scanner that there was a house explosion. We knew they said explosion but we didn't realize the magnitude of it.
Since our day crime reporter was off this week, I was covering, so they sent me.
When I got where I was going (Flour Bluff), I had to park a couple blocks over because the police had the streets blocked off. My adrenaline was pumping, and with video camera and reporter notebook in hand I trudged toward the scene.
What met me there was ghastly. Smoke made the area eerie, as if it wasn't enough already. House insulation was all over the streets for blocks... it was even in the palm trees. People were walking around, some crying, most shocked at what was in front of their eyes. I interviewed a few people and learned that the house literally exploded. The roof blew about 50 feet into the air. There wasn't a wall standing.
The smoke was consuming. It was like breathing in a chimney... with a fire in the fireplace. Finally we got to a place where it wasn't blowing right towards us (by "we" I mean all the media people and some witnesses). On our first briefing we were told that the remains of one person were found and had been sent to the medical examiner. The family of the residents were trying to call them but couldn't locate them. Their phones just rang and rang and rang...
We also learned that other remains had been found, but they were unsure if they belonged to the first victim or a second.
It was suffocatingly hot. Everyone was pouring sweat. I feel bad for the fire fighters... that gear must have been smoldering.
I was pretty much composed until I saw the puppy.
Apparently the house had two dogs. A couple guys managed to pull one out, but flames blocked their way to the other one after the initial explosion.
A neighbor carried this pitiful looking puppy... they were taking it to the vet...
That's when the adrenaline slightly wore off and my stomach started to turn.
The whole situation sort of hit me all at once. Family members of the home owners had arrived. They were all crying or yelling or on their cell phones. They recognized both vehicles outside the home, which meant it was likely that the unaccounted for were in the house.
My heart goes out to them. It was such a horrible tragedy.
I was left when my roommate Susan got there to continue covering the story.
But things like that just don't slip out of your mind.
No, it stuck there. In fact, it stuck there as if it were a permanent fixture. I just couldn't shake the images and the faces of those family members...

Turns out all three people who lived in the house were killed in the blast.
Please pray for their families.

Sometimes being a reporter feels like being continually beat over the head with a bat. It's one tragedy after another after another... and somehow you have to manage to shake it all off enough to cover the next story that is right around the corner.
I managed, but not without lots of prayers and deep breaths.

All day today the family of those people floated through my mind.
Again, please please keep them in your prayers.
(To read more on this go here: http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/18/authorities-respond-house-fire/ The story made national news as well)

To the family members of this horrible tragedy... my heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you. May God bring you peace in this great time of need.

(4) Comments

  1. Bill On June 19, 2009 at 10:58 PM

    Fantastic story! I especially liked the part about Nostalgia and her friend Aria--that really brought it home where everyone can understand this horrible tragedy. Great job!

    Amen to the prayers for the family!

     
    Anonymous On June 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM

    Excellent story. Who shot the video?

     
    Anonymous On June 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM

    My heart goes out to the family...and the reporter! Yes, this is an experience which will stay with you forever.

    Very nice job. I know you handled it with empathy, professionalism, and respect for all the family and emergency workers. It's always difficult to interact with sources at a time like this...some want to talk, some don't.

    Comfort yourself knowing you did your best. And, those of us at home will keep everyone in our prayers.

     
    Madelyn On June 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM

    To anonymous #1: I shot the video.