Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive


First of all, I want to remind everyone that just because AC is in summer terms, there are still cool activities going on. June Jazz has been running each week this month, where AC students can go and check out some really cool jazz music! If you've never heard it before, you should definitely check it out--nothing in today's music can match a trumpet or sax virtuoso when he's riffing his heart out. There are two more performances, the next one is Tuesday, June 23rd--Polk Street Jazz. For more information, contact Jim Laughlin at 371-5345, or check out AC's website at http://prod.campuscruiser.com/PageServlet?pg=home_annboard&tg=AnnBoard-detail&annId=454000&cx=22.291.


Now for some sad news. Longtime Amarillo Dillas and local high school sports broadcast announcer Joe Frank Wheeler died yesterday of an apparent heart attack at the Dilla Villa. Check out the Amarillo Globe News' article at http://www.amarillo.com/stories/061609/new_13718133.shtml.


As one of the Board Operator at Cumulus Radio, I got the chance to work with Joe Frank on a few occasions this past high school baseball season. I didn't get to meet him in person, but when I ran the board for him, he was the nicest man you could imagine! He was helpful and friendly, and very patient with me when I was still learning the ropes. I regret that I never met him in person.


His passion for sports was obvious if you've ever heard him at the Dilla Villa or heard him call a game on KPUR-AM 1440, KZRK-AM 1550, or KGNC-AM 710. Many people have described him as "goldenthroated", and for good reason. He made the game fun. He was a legend in the Panhandle sports scene, loved by all. He will be sorely missed. There will not be another like him.


I would like to extend my codolences to the Wheeler family, and to his extended sports family in the Panhandle. God bless you, Joe Frank!

(0) Comments