Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

More about me....

6/10/2009 12:59:00 AM 1 comments

Hi y'all! Thought I'd tell you a little more about me, since I know you've been waiting with baited breath since my last blog haha! :D

I'm what you'd call a non-traditional student. I just turned 36 this past Sunday, so I'm older than your typical fresh-out-of-high school student. I'm single, never married (came close once!), and no kids (at least, none that...ah, we've all heard this lame joke enough lol!). I live with my grandparents--my grandmother has lymphoma, and my grandfather has dementia, so they need someone who can look after them full time, and I was available. It works out pretty good for everyone--they have someone there for them, and I don't have to worry about rent or mortgage!

I decided to return to school last year because I was not happy with my life at the time. I was in the insurance industry for 11 years, and I was making a very good living, but I had grown very dissatisfied with my job. I was promoted in March of last year, but the job turned out to not be what was promised. Things got to the point that I couldn't stand it anymore, and I pushed the issue with my superiors to the point where I was fired in August. Well, you know what they say: don't rock the boat unless you're ready to suffer the consequences!

At first, I was in a state of shock. I had NEVER been fired in my life, and I didn't know what to do. Even though I was miserable in that job, most people prefer the devil they know to the devil they don't. But it didn't take long for me to realize that this was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. The weight of the world was off my shoulders! So, I made up my mind to take advantage of this situation, and move forward.

I decided that now is the time to follow my dreams. You know the old saying: find out what you like to do, and find a way to get paid to do it. All my life, I've been a sports nut. My perfect weekend is holing up in my recliner and watching football from Saturday morning to Sunday night! I decided to pursue a career as a play-by-play sportscaster, and AC is the perfect place for me to start.

Fortunately, I don't have to start from scratch. I have been to college before: when I graduated high school in '91, I went to Texas Tech. My original goal was to go into the Air Force, like my dad. I majored in electrical engineering; however, I crashed and burned my sophomore year, and never really got going again. I didn't have a Plan B, and eventually flunked out. This time, I'm doing it the right way! I have a plan and a goal, and so far, I'm making straight A's!

To whoever has read this far, my advice is this: follow your dreams! It's never too late to do what makes you happy. Believe me, you don't want to get caught in a dead-end job that makes you miserable. I've had to make a considerable sacrifice in my lifestyle, but I'm as happy as I've ever been, going to school and working two part-time jobs. So, whether you've just graduated high school and will go to college this fall, or you're older but you're stuck in a rut, do what makes you happy. You'll be much better off for it!

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous On June 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM

    Happy (belated) birthday! I second your advice to "follow your dreams". Pursue a career you love and success will follow!