Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Stab stab stab stab.

7/10/2009 03:25:00 PM 0 comments

Seriously, I think the official weapon of choice for criminals in Corpus Christi is a knife.

We are constantly hearing about stabbings. Shootings? Not as much. But stabbings? All the time!
This week a father stabbed his 5-month-old son. In the chest.

Go ahead and swallow that one. There are some seriously twisted people in this world. I will never understand it.
(story I wrote on it: http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jul/06/5-month-old-baby-stabbed/ )
Luckily, the baby has been released from the hospital. There is a court date set but I'm not sure when it is.

Sometimes, when I sit back and really let the things we report on absorb in my mind, my stomach gets sick and all tied in knots. The most unexpected things hit the most unsuspecting people. Like the house explosion. It has now been determined that the owner of the home died of stab wounds prior to the explosion, and the blast was done on purpose via natural gas and gasoline. And the huge car accident that my roommate, Susan, covered not too long ago with the drunk 18-year-old driver. He hit a car that killed a guy in his 20's and put the other one in the hospital with severe injuries. The guy in the hospital is still unconscious and has been moved to a facility in Virginia.

It's all very disheartening.

It's a daily mission to find bright spots among the mess. They can be found, even if some digging must be done.

For example, I wrote a story that made front page Monday. Check it out, here's the link: http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jul/05/ive-seen-taiwan-ive-seen-france-n-sister-city/. Those kids were so awesome. They are really headed somewhere in their lives... they were extremely respectful, and they have their heads on straight! They desire a future, and are reaching out to get it. I really loved writing that story. The whole experience was great. The kids were fun, and everyone was very helpful. After it ran I got a phone call from the lady I spoke with who is a chairwoman on the Sister City board. They are trying to eliminate the funds supporting the program (as you read in the story) and she poured thank you's out to me! She said the story had perfect timing as they were meeting with the board that night to state their case about keeping the program. She just thanked me over and over and over. It was obvious she was genuinely happy and excited about the story. It made me feel really good. It wasn't even a huge deal for me, but her gratitude put it in perspective. I hope that story makes a difference in their case. I really pray that the funds aren't taken from their program and it's able to offer many more children such wonderful opportunities.

Anyway, there's a little of what's been on my mind lately.

My last day of work is exactly 3 weeks from today. Amazing how fast time goes by!
My bestfriend Bekah is currently here visiting me, and my boyfriend Chris will be here in 5 days. Good times!!!

TGIF! :)

(0) Comments