Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Thoughts on Sarah

7/05/2009 06:13:00 PM , 4 comments

I did a double take a few days ago when Sarah Palin announced she is resigning as Governor of Alaska after only 2 1/2 years on the job. Her main reasons are she doesn't want to be a lame-duck, and she doesn't want to spend tax dollars defending herself on ethics charges. See this ariticle from CNN about Republicans' reaction: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/05/palin.reaction/index.html

I don't know what to make of this. Although politically I'm an independent, I'm moderately conservative on most things, and I was one of millions who were energized when Palin was named to John McCain's ticket in '08. Although the media portrayed her as naive and a novice, I though it was a breath of fresh air. Here seemed to be a woman who was more like me than the professional politicians who normally inhabit Washington. In retrospect, the nation was tired of George Bush, so I think the Democrats could have run Mickey Mouse and won the Presidency, let alone the telegenic and charismatic Barak Obama.

Although the media focused on her inexperience with foreign affairs, I've always though Palin's biggest weakness is thin skin. She totally lost her cool when Charlie Gibson pushed her buttons, and the Katie Couric interview was a total set-up. However, if you want to play in the big leagues, you better be prepared to take some shots. Palin has certainly drew more than her fair share of negative media attention. She is a conservative woman; therefore, the liberal media view her as a traitor and have come after her with a vengeance. In my opinion, she hasn't handled it well. My gut tells me Palin is pulling a Nixon: in '62, after losing the California governor's race, Nixon famously told reporters, "You don't have Nixon to kick around anymore!" I wonder if this isn't something similar.

Palin still remains one of the favorites to win the Republican nomination for 2012. Maybe by resigning in Alaska she wants a more national profile. I don't know. I'm going to reserve judgement on this. But if she really does want to be President, she'd better thicken her skin.

(4) Comments

  1. Anonymous On July 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM

    Somehow I think there's something else going on here... why now?

     
    Anonymous On July 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM

    Check out http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/03/palin-to-resign-as-governor-of-alaska/?hp

     
    Madelyn On July 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

    I agree. It really bums me out... I had high hopes for that woman!

     
    Bill On July 7, 2009 at 1:00 PM

    I like the article cited above. It nicely condenses all the pros and cons surrounding Palin. Looks like the Dems are going with the strategy I thought they would: Palin is a quitter. She'd better find a way to counter that if she really does intend to run for President in 2012.