Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

There are crazy things going on at BSA right now, and I'm not talking about their ABSURD smoking policy to potential employees. It seems that BSA is telling its patients that are just coming in, to go to Northwest Texas Hospital. They are diverting their ambulances’ as well. “The last few days the hospital has seen a large influx of patients sick with flu, pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses,” www.amarillo.com. The hospital has an overwhelming amount of patients right now and they are doing “damage control”, if you will. Thankfully, I received my flu shot a couple months ago. For most strains of the flu, it doesn’t take much to kill: a simple disinfectant around the house, and some soap and warm water when you wash your hands.



Am I the only person with a secret love affair with Wikipedia? You can look up just about anything, and find great information. However, sometimes you have to be careful. Anybody can get on Wikipedia and update or change information. Remember the Chris Benoit scandal? Apparently, Benoit killed his wife and son, then himself. Fourteen hours before their bodies were discovered, there was a posting on Wikipedia that Benoit would miss his next two wrestling matches because of his wife’s death. A moderator checked this posting and took it off because (to his knowledge) this wasn’t true. After investigations, the user that posted this contacted Wikipedia and explained that his post was a “terrible coincidence” and just speculation. It makes one think… did Benoit possibly see this and get the idea of killing his wife from it? Or, was it a coincidence?



On a lighter note, I am such a procrastinator, not that it is anything to brag about. I have yet to buy a book for my economics class. I have no reason to buy it until next week because our first test is then, but I also have issues with the bookstore. Maybe my issues are with the college textbook industry as a whole, but the closest frontier to battling this, is with the bookstore. The book that I have to buy sells for $180. I repeat: one book, $180. This semester, the cost of my books and supplies has exceeded my tuition. What really gets me is at the end of semester at textbook buyback, I may get $40 for it, if I’m lucky. Oftentimes, the authors of that book will publish a new edition each year, and then the original book is worth about $10. There are a few ways around this, 'half.com' where you can buy and sell your textbooks back for about half the price, and 'books on campus' or 'DogEars'. I haven’t mingled with the last two but I am a frequent user of half.com. You can find books at half price (that is, unless your instructor requires that you get the version with the cd, and to your surprise you never use it!) and it’s straightforward. Half.com is for anybody, and it’s owned by eBay.


Before I forget, if you haven’t applied for the Amarillo College Foundation scholarships, you should. The deadline to be considered for next year is March 2. The AC Foundation is loyal to its students. Even with mediocre grades from time to time, I have received a scholarship from them every semester at AC. I’m so thankful for the scholarships, though none of them have covered my tuition completely, they substantially help me out. There are even scholarships for students who plan to transfer to a university, and I intend to apply for that. It’s a general scholarship that you will apply for, which you can pick almost anywhere around campus but for sure in the CUB, 2nd floor, room 206. Thank you, AC Foundation!

It’s almost 3pm, just a couple more hours until Happy Hour!

(2) Comments

  1. Anonymous On February 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM

    You can also print up a copy of the application at the following link:

    http://www.actx.edu/foundation/files/filecabinet/folder2/09_10_Foundation_Scholarship_Application.pdf

    Check out the AC foundation website at http://www.actx.edu/foundation. There's lot's of other stuff on the website.

     
    Anonymous On February 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM

    The flu has hit my household and it is showing no mercy! Get your shot!